Here we are going to share quotes of Anais Nin on courage, love never dies, change and travel. She was an American author, novelist, erotica and short story writer. She was born on February 21, 1903 in Neuilly-sur-Seine, France and died on January 14, 1977 (aged 73) in Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Famous Anais Nin Quotes in Text & Images
1.We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
2. We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect.
3. And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
4. Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.
5. How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself?
6. Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.
7. I am only responsible for my own heart, you offered yours up for the smashing my darling. Only a fool would give out such a vital organ
8. I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.
9. Reality doesn’t impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.
10. I hate men who are afraid of women’s strength.
11. Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
12. The role of a writer is not to say what we can all say, but what we are unable to say.
13. Anxiety is love’s greatest killer. It makes others feel as you might when a drowning man holds on to you. You want to save him, but you know he will strangle you with his panic.
14. If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don’t write, because our culture has no use for it.
15. We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.
16. People living deeply have no fear of death.
17. The possession of knowledge does not kill the sense of wonder and mystery. There is always more mystery.
18. Do not seek the because – in love there is no because, no reason, no explanation, no solutions.
19. You don’t find love, it finds you. It’s got a little bit to do with destiny, fate, and what’s written in the stars.
20. Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together.
21. There are two ways to reach me: by way of kisses or by way of the imagination. But there is a hierarchy: the kisses alone don’t work.
22. The secret of joy is the mastery of pain.
23. Sometimes we reveal ourselves when we are least like ourselves.
24. You cannot save people. You can only love them.
25. I will always be the virgin-prostitute, the perverse angel, the two-faced sinister and saintly woman.
26. Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death.
27. I believe one writes because one has to create a world in which one can live.
28. I write emotional algebra.
29. Our love of each other was like two long shadows kissing without hope of reality.
30. I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing.
31. Dreams are necessary to life.
32. The only abnormality is the incapacity to love.
33. Each contact with a human being is so rare, so precious, one should preserve it.
34. What I cannot love, I overlook.
35. Societies in decline have no use for visionaries.
36. She lacks confidence, she craves admiration insatiably. She lives on the reflections of herself in the eyes of others. She does not dare to be herself.
37. Had I not created my whole world, I would certainly have died in other people’s.
38. The truly faithless one is the one who makes love to only a fraction of you. And denies the rest.
39. I sat there for three hours and did not feel the time or the boredom of our talk and its foolish disconnection. As long as I could hear his voice, I was quite lost, quite blind, quite outside my own self.
40. Only the united beat of sex and heart together can create ecstasy.
41. I take pleasure in my transformations. I look quiet and consistent, but few know how many women there are in me.
42. I reserve the right to love many different people at once, and to change my prince often.
43. He was now in that state of fire that she loved. She wanted to be burnt.
44. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.
45. To think of him in the middle of the day lifts me out of ordinary living.
46. Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age.
47. For you and for me the highest moment, the keenest joy, is not when our minds dominate but when we lose our minds, and you and I both lose it in the same way, through love.
48. I want to make my own discoveries…….penetrate the evil which attracts me
49. There are many ways to be free. One of them is to transcend reality by imagination, as I try to do.
50. I made no resolutions for the New Year. The habit of making plans, of criticizing, sanctioning and molding my life, is too much of a daily event for me.
51. Creation which cannot express itself becomes madness.
52. Something is always born of excess: great art was born of great terror, great loneliness, great inhibitions, instabilities, and it always balances them.
53. Our life is composed greatly from dreams, from the unconscious, and they must be brought into connection with action. They must be woven together.
54. When others asked the truth of me, I was convinced it was not the truth they wanted, but an illusion they could bear to live with.
55. I am lonely, yet not everybody will do. I don’t know why, some people fill the gaps and others emphasize my loneliness.
56. When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons.
57. life is truly known only to those who suffer, lose, endure adversity, & stumble from defeat to defeat.
58. I have no brakes on…analysis is for those who are paralyzed by life.
59. When one is pretending, the entire body revolts.
60. This diary is my kief, hashish and opium pipe. This is my drug and my vice.
61. We are going to the moon that is not very far. Man has so much farther to go within himself.
62. Shame is the lie someone told you about yourself.
63. Writers do not live one life, they live two. There is the living and then there is the writing. There is the second tasting, the delayed reaction.
64. The enemy of a love is never outside, it’s not a man or a woman, it’s what we lack in ourselves.
65. If I love you it means we share the same fantasies, the same madnesses
66. I wanted to remember in order to be able to return.
67. I am aware of being in a beautiful prison, from which I can only escape by writing.
68. Good things happen to those who hustle.
69. All those who try to unveil the mysteries always have tragic lives. At the end they are always punished.
70. I’m restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by the stars again.
71. He was jealous of her future, and she of his past.
72. The dream was always running ahead of me. To catch up, to live for a moment in unison, was the miracle.
73. We do not escape into philosophy, psychology, and art–we go there to restore our shattered selves into whole ones.
74. I’m restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by the stars again.
75. Since desire always goes towards that which is our direct opposite, it forces us to love that which will make us suffer.
76. When you make a world tolerable for yourself, you make a world tolerable for others.
77. Dreams pass into the reality of action. From the actions stems the dream again; and this interdependence produces the highest form of living.
78. Ordinary life does not interest me. I seek only the high moments. I am in accord with the surrealists, searching for the marvelous.
79. I can elect something I love and absorb myself in it.
80. What I cannot love, I overlook. Is that real friendship?
81. And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
82. The obstacle became his alibi for weakness.
83. Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive.
84. Living never wore one so much as the effort not to live.
85. What you burnt, broke, and tore is still in my hands. I am the keeper of fragile things and I have kept of you what is indissoluble.
86. I am like a snake who has already bitten. I retreat from a direct battle while knowing the slow effect of the poison.
87. I hate rarely, though when I hate, I hate murderously.
88. His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that…only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.
89. It is a sign of great inner insecurity to be hostile to the unfamiliar.
90. Nature forms us for ourselves, not for others; to be, not to seem.
91. If a person continues to see giants, it means he is still looking at the world through the eyes of a child.
92. To commit suicide is easy. To live without a god is more difficult. The drunkenness of triumph is greater than the drunkenness of sacrifice.
93. Our culture made a virtue of living only as extroverts. We discouraged the inner journey, the quest for a center. So we lost our center and have to find it again.
94. Sex must be mixed with tears, laughter, words, promises, scenes, jealousy, envy, all the spices of fear, foreign travel, new faces, novels, stories, dreams, fantasies, music, dancing, opium, wine.
95. The personal life deeply lived always expands into truths beyond itself.
96. I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself.
97. You are the only woman who ever answered the demands of my imagination.
98. There is a fissure in my vision and madness will always rush through.
99. I see enormous loves growing immense and finally crushing me.
100. Truth is something which can’t be told in a few words. Those who simplify the universe only reduce the expansion of its meaning.