Quotes about Alice Walker, she was a novelist, short story writer and activist. Her most famous notable work is “The Color Purple” novel which was written in 1982. For that novel she won the National Book Award.
Some of her famous novels & short stories are The Third Life of Grange Copeland (1970), Meridian (1976), The Color Purple (1982) and Possessing the Secret of Joy (1992). So, hopefully you will enjoy the quotes of Alice Walker.
Famous Quotes of Alice Walker Quotes in Both Text & Images
1.No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow.
2. The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.
3. I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don’t notice it.
4. Hard times require furious dancing. Each of us is proof.
5. The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men
6. What the mind doesn’t understand, it worships or fears.
7. Activism is my rent for living on the planet.
8. Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.
9. Everything want to be loved. Us sing and dance and holler, just trying to be loved.
10. Even as I hold you, I am letting you go.
11. Men make war to get attention. All killing is an expression of self-hate.
12. I have learned not to worry about love; but to honor its coming with all my heart.
13. Any God I ever found in church, I brought in myself.
14. Look closely at the present you are constructing: it should look like the future you are dreaming.
15. In nature, nothing is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways and they’re still beautiful.
16. Horses make a landscape look beautiful.
17. In search of my mother’s garden, I found my own.
18. I’m mad about the waste that happens when people who love each other can’t even bring themselves to talk.
19. The nature of this flower is to bloom.
20. A grown child is a dangerous thing.
21. Everything want to be loved.
22. Oh, Celie, unbelief is a terrible thing. And so is the hurt we cause others unknowingly.
23. The more I wonder, the more I love.
24. Nobody is as powerful as we make them out to be.
25. People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools.
26. I’m pore, I’m black, I may be ugly and can’t cook, a voice say to everything listening. But I’m here.
27. When the ax came into the forest the trees said the handle is one of us.
28. Life is better than death, I believe, if only because it is less boring, and because it has fresh peaches in it.
29. Tea to the English is really a picnic indoors.
30. I have fought and kicked and fasted and prayed and cursed and cried myself to the point of existing.
31. She thought of how precious it was to be able to know another person over many years. There was incomparable richness in it.
32. What you hope for, you also fear.
33. You must learn to love only that which cannot be stolen.
34. Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored
35. Every time I conjure up a rock, I throw it.
36. Like I said…fine with me.
37. The world is changing. It is no longer a world just for boys and men
38. I’m always amazed that people will actually choose to sit in front of the television and just be savaged by stuff that belittles their intelligence.
39. it is this broken road with pitfalls and sharp turns and unexpected traverses that has brought me joy and adventure.
40. Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise
41. Writing saved me from the sin and inconvenience of violence.
42. Why any woman give a shit what people think is a mystery to me.
43. Resistance is the secret of joy!
44. If you’re silent for a long time, people just arrive in your mind.
45. I’ve found, in my own writing, that a little hatred, keenly directed, is a useful thing.
46. Those in power must spend a lot of their time laughing at us.
47. But it ain’t easy, trying to do without God even if you know he ain’t there, trying to do without him is a strain
48. womanist is to feminist as purple is to lavender
49. The animals of the planet are in desperate peril… Without free animal life I believe we will lose the spiritual equivalent of oxygen.
50. If you lie to yourself about your own pain, you will be killed by those who will claim you enjoyed it.
51. The only way to solace anyone who loved you in life is to be a good memory
52. I love his dear eyes in which the vulnerability and beauty of his soul can be plainly read.
53. Some colored people so scared of whitefolks they claim to love the cotton gin.
54. If she come, I be happy. If she don’t, I be content.
55. We all have to start somewhere if us want to do better, an d out of self is what us have to hand
56. Is solace anywhere more comforting than in the arms of a sister?
57. If art doesn’t make us better, then what on earth is it for.
58. My heart hurt so much I can’t believe it. How can it keep beating, feeling like this?
59. It just seems clear to me that as long as we are all here, it’s pretty clear that the struggle is to share the planet, rather than divide it.
60. Just cause I love her don’t take away none of her rights.
61. Sofia the kind of woman no matter what she have in her hand she make it look like a weapon.
62. You a low down dog is what’s wrong. It’s time to leave you and enter into the creation. And your dead body just the welcome mat I need.
63. Too much respect for people who are not respectful to you is a sure sign of insecurity.
64. This is the true wine of astonishment: “We are not over when we think we are.
65. Whenever you are creating beauty around you, you are restoring your own soul.
66. Not only will your teachers appear, but they will cook new foods for you.
67. Dear God. Dear stars, dear trees, dear sky, dear peoples. Dear Everything. Dear God.
68. But I don’t know how to fight. All I know how to do is stay alive.
69. Women have to summon courage to fulfill dormant dreams.
70. She look so stylish it like the trees all round the house draw themself up tall for a better look.
71. I can’t fix my mouth to say how I feel.
72. A burnt finger remember the fire.
73. All her young life she has tried to please her father, never quite realizing that, as a girl, she never could.
74. Keep in mind always the present you are constructing. It should be the future you want.