Explore Albert Schweitzer quotes, who born on 14 January 1875 in Kaysersberg, Alsace-Lorraine, Germany and died 4 September 1965 in Lambaréné, Gabon. He was a writer, humanitarian, philosopher, and physician.
Here we share some of his best inspirational quotes about education, leadership, and Jesus. We posted Albert Schweitzer quotes in both text & images, so you can share easily on social media.
45 Albert Schweitzer Famous Quotes
1.The purpose of human life is to serve, and to show compassion and the will to help others.
2. In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
3. At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.
4. Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light.
5. There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.
6. One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity.
7. Do something wonderful, people may imitate it.
8. Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.
9. Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
10 We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness.
11. An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while a pessimist sees only the red stoplight… the truly wise person is colorblind.
12. Ethics is the activity of man directed to secure the inner perfection of his own personality.
13. Do not let Sunday be taken from you. If your soul has no Sunday, it becomes an orphan.
14. A man does not have to be an angel in order to be saint.
15. Man can hardly even recognize the devils of his own creation.
16. Man is a clever animal who behaves like an imbecile.
17. One thing I know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve.
18. If a man loses his reverence for any part of life, he will lose his reverence for all of life.
19. Do something for somebody everyday for which you do not get paid.
20. Humanitarianism consists in never sacrificing a human being to a purpose.
21. Ethics is nothing else than reverence for life.
22. Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing.
23. The African is my brother but he is my younger brother by several centuries.
24. Man has lost the capacity to foresee and to forestall. He will end by destroying the earth.
25. As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins.
26. Life becomes harder for us when we live for others, but it also becomes richer and happier.
27. A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.
28. Wherever a man turns he can find someone who needs him.
29. Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.
30. The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve.
31. A man is truly ethical only when he obeys the compulsion to help all life which he is able to assist, and shrinks from injuring anything that lives.
32. Let me give you a definition of ethics: It is good to maintain and further life it is bad to damage and destroy life.
33. One truth stands firm. All that happens in world history rests on something spiritual. If the spiritual is strong, it creates world history. If it is weak, it suffers world history.
34. We cannot possibly let ourselves get frozen into regarding everyone we do not know as an absolute stranger.
35. Truth has no special time of its own. Its hour is now – always.
36. Serious illness doesn’t bother me for long because I am too inhospitable a host.
37. Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight.
38. My life is my argument.
39. By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive.
40. Reverence for life is the highest court of appeal.
41. The true worth of a man is not to be found in man himself, but in the colours and textures that come alive in others.
42. A man can do only what he can do. But if he does that each day he can sleep at night and do it again the next day.
43. The great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.
44. I have always held firmly to the thought that each one of us can do a little to bring some portion of misery to an end.
45. The highest proof of the spirit is love. Love the eternal thing which can already on earth possess as it really is.